Thursday, January 24, 2008

Book #4: Amsterdam

Title: Amsterdam
Author: Ian McEwan

Following the funeral of a close friend, Vernon, a London newspaper publisher, and Clive, a composer, enter into a pact that will have consequences neither man could have imagined.

I've loved other books by Ian McEwan (both Saturday and Atonement rank high on my list of best reads ever). I did some scouting on Amazon and knew that this was both his Booker Prize-winning novel, and the novel which had received the most unfavorable reviews. The novel, at 196 pages, takes us into the work-related inner struggles that both Vernon and Clive face. And maybe I'm dense, but I wasn't prepared for the end (which I won't reveal, since, at least to me, was a total shocker). I just didn't feel that the characters McEwan drew in the first 90% of the novel (both very self-absorbed) would think broadly (and crazily) enough for what took place in the last 10%. My advice, if you're new to McEwan, cut your teeth on Saturday, and then dig into Atonement. This one might appeal to dedicated readers, but it might turn off a newbie.

2 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Atonement has such a long waiting list at my library that I put Saturday and Amsterdam on the list instead yesterday.

Shelah said...

well, read Saturday first. :P