Monday, January 14, 2008

Book #1: Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance


Title: Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
Author: Atul Gawande

Vignettes from the work experience of a surgeon to highlight how we can improve our performance and productivity.

I loved Complications, published in 2002, in which Gawande looked back at his medical training (he was a general surgery resident at the time of the book's publication) and wrote about patients and situations that represented his experience as a doctor. In Better, Gawande still refers to his patients and surgical experience, but this time to emphasize how we could be more productive or produce better results. He's a great writer, and engrossing even for me, who sort of looks in from the outside of the medical profession on a daily basis. This would be a great book club read since it's short, straight-forward, clean, and thought-provoking.

4 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I really liked this book and his first one. Medicine is one of my favorite things to read about. His essay on obstetrics is available online, so I often forward it to friends to read.

Alissa said...

i'm just really excited to be enjoying year #3 of your book reviews!!!

AtlantaMom said...

I read "The Good Earth" as a middle schooler (eons ago), and it was one of those books that made such an impact on me that I have thought about it often in those 26+ years. Enjoy...

Company EIGHT said...

This looks like a great book for our bookclub--I'm looking forward to recommending it.
I love your reviews--they really help bulk up my library list!