Sunday, October 7, 2007

Seasonal Lament

Six years ago, when Eddie and all of his classmates were finishing medical school and interviewing for residencies, people always seemed shocked when they found out that our first choice for residency was the Mayo Clinic in (gasp!) Rochester, Minnesota. Most of his classmates, who were either single or newly married and didn't have kids, were getting out of the middle of the country and trying to make a break for Boston or San Fransisco ASAP. We, on the other hand, had two babies and had spent four years living in a tiny apartment, so our decision about where to spend the next three years of our lives was highly influenced by where we could afford to buy a house and live fairly comfortably on one resident's salary. People kept saying, "It's so cold there" and "there's no city nearby" but I thought they were kind of silly themselves for choosing programs based on where the weather was good or where there were lots of cool restaurants and bars.

We moved to Minnesota. It was cold. We didn't see the sun from November until April, unless the weather was below zero. But Minnesotans bond over surviving the cold weather, and after three years of shoveling snow and driving on ice and not seeing the ground for months at a time, I felt intrepid.

Then we moved to Texas. I was excited to be getting away from the endless winters. I was excited to see the sun again. I was thrilled to be living so close to a big city again. We thought living in Minnesota was affordable, but houses in Texas were downright cheap-- we traded in our little raised ranch for an extra thousand square feet in a two-story house. We visited in April when the weather was beautiful and I reasoned that if I could handle three Minnesota winters, four Texas summers couldn't be all that bad.

But it's October, the "end" of our third Texas summer, and I feel like throwing in the (very soggy) towel. Isaac is turning three next week, and he knows his birthday is in the fall. Whenever we talk about how his birthday is coming soon, he says, "No Mom, my birfday is in the fall. It's still summer here." It is still summer here. The ten-day weather forecast still predicts partly cloudy days with highs around 90 and lows in the mid-70s. When I was watching General Conference on tv yesterday and saw people wearing long sleeves and sweaters, it almost made me cry. I'd love to wear a sweater. Heck, I'd love to wear a short-sleeved shirt and go outside without rivulets of sweat collecting in my bra. If you want an idea of what my run felt like yesterday, go put your treadmill in your bathroom. Turn on your shower. Then get on the treadmill and run twelve miles. By the end, I felt like I could be wrung out like a sponge.

When I complained about the weather in Minnesota, I felt bonded to a community of people who could conquer the cold. Only hardy souls could do it. When I complain about the weather here, I just feel like, well, a complainer. It's hot-- get over it. And most of the time, I can get over it. But when October rolls around and I think about my childhood autumns apple picking and driving through hilly New England to "catch the leaves" or General Conference weekends in Provo, driving the Alpine loop and looking at the yellow aspens quake and lose their leaves, I really feel like I'm missing out. I ate a Minnesota Honeycrisp apple the other day, and it practically made me cry because I had a flashback to apple picking with the kids a few falls ago.

One more Texas summer (after this one). I can get through it. I'll probably complain. A lot. But after that, we're outta here. By that time, after paying our dues with three winters on the tundra and four summers in hell, we'll be one of those "silly" people who has the luxury of choosing a place to live based on climate. And high on my list is a place with four seasons, of relatively equal length.

9 comments:

Valarie said...

Be careful what you wish for. Those who you saw wearing sweaters were doing so out of necessity, not as a nod to long awaited crisp fall weather. It was a cold, gloomy, wet day- one way too early in the season for my likes. Of course, you'd probably be happy to see all the new snow on the mountains.

Lucy said...

It was pretty cold here this weekend. But, like you, I desire seasons and love living in the West. Hopefully, after this year, you will get to choose a place perfect for you and your family.

Amber said...

I'm wishing I was in your shoes. I'm wishing I was somewhere where it was still 90. I LOVE the hot. In a sick demented way. Humidity? Not so much. But I'll take hot over cold any day.

Shelah said...

I have a feeling that Vegas heat and Houston heat are not created equal. I bet you don't have to replace your Halloween pumpkins twice due to mold in Vegas. When we were in Utah over the summer and it was 100 during the day, we couldn't get over how cool and comfortable the evenings and mornings were, and how 100 there felt so much better than 90 does here.

Melissa said...

Oh I know it, I have only been to TX to visit, but having lived in CA all my life I figured I would be just fine!

OH MY GOSH, I couldn't even get my make up to say on my face!! And I thought I would be smart while site seeing and wear a skirt....instead I regretted it the whole time as my legs stuck together and started chaffing!!!

Good luck on your run!!LOL!

Doreen said...

You just made me so NOT want to move to TX. Dave is graduating in May, and, as far as space industry goes, well, there's a lot of it in TX. Eeek, I better go get looking for something not-so-humid...

TJ said...

i feel you. i just spent time in CA and AZ. even in arizona the heat doesn't feel like this. i might have to put on a bit more lotion or chapstick, but i can handle that. we bought an exercise bike and my husband goes to the gym to exercise. (military posts have lots of gyms) i do hope that you find your happy place. we're moving to NC in a few months, and it gets hot and humid in the summer, but fairly cold in the winter. i don't even want to wear a sweater. i just want to be able to layer a cami under a shirt and be comfortable. just sitting down the sweat starts to trickle....
i was actually cold when i was in CA. it was a nice feeling for a little while...

Gabriela said...

I hear ya. I haven't had real seasons since we left DC in 2000. I have had only Springs and Summers for 7 years. Watching Conference and seeing the start of the football season (I'm not a huge fan, but it's just a season marker for me) makes me miss fall so much.

At least your not headed back in to summer like I am. I am getting no fall or winter this year. Spring, Summer, Spring, Summer.

Anonymous said...

Cold, what cold? Let me tell you, it definitely did not feel like fall here in MN on Sunday during the Twin Cities Marathon! Before the gun started us off, we were already sweating from the heat and humidity. Good luck with your marathon! I'm on day 3 of recovery and am still having a hard time moving normally.