Monday, September 24, 2007

Book #51: The Adventures of Captain Underpants (The First Epic Novel)



Title: The Adventures of Captain Underpants
Author: Dav Pilkey
Since I'm a voracious reader, I always assumed that my kids would inherit the reading gene from me. Annie taught herself to read before she was four and has been reading herself to bed at night ever since. Bryce also learned to read early, but he's used books more for information than for entertainment. Until last week. He asked me to get him a couple of Captain Underpants books from the library. I'll admit that I was sort of put off by the name, but I did it anyway. We read the first book together. I kept thinking he'd be begging me to end reading time, but we read 75 pages the first night and finished it up as soon as he got home from school the next day. He's been reading the second epic story to himself at bedtime and I love hearing him giggle as he discovers the books on his own. They are pretty darn funny books too. But then again, I love potty humor, so my idea of a funny book would probably be one that would appeal to a second-grade boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think?

I have two little boys, and when their interest in reading is lagging, I know I can count on Capt. Underpants to get them going again. Yes, the humor is crude. But yes, my boys have a crude sense of humor right now. It's soooo much better then them sitting around watching cartoon network.

Lucy said...

We aren't into crude, yet. Sometimes, I kind of regret the path we've taken because I know my boys are going to realize soon that there are worse things than talking about farting, but for now, they think that it's pretty much up there with the other punishable sins, like stealing, lying and cheating. I'm just going to roll with that for now:)