Monday, September 24, 2007

Book #50: A Thread of Grace



Title: A Thread of Grace
Author: Mary Doria Russell
First of all, the Fifty Book Challenge? I made it! Not nearly as quickly as last year, when I hit fifty in July, but still, I did it. And I think that the books I read have, in general, been more challenging this year than last. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Mary Doria Russell's A Thread of Grace definitely falls into the "more challenging" category. It's the story of Jewish refugees during World War II who escape into Italy once they hear of a peace agreement between the Allies and the Italians. When the Germans invade Italy, the Jews must be hidden. The story reminds me a lot of Suite Francaise, which I read earlier this year (I think) and which I also liked. But I'm so glad that I live in a less precarious, less dangerous sort of life myself. I get exhasuted just reading about the trials people went through when a war was fought on their home turf. It also makes me wonder if I'd be brave and resistant for a just cause, or if I'd find the path of least resistance to protect my family.
And just an aside-- is it just me or does every girl who has sex ONE TIME in literature or film seem to get pregnant? It's like a given that if a girl has sex with a guy who is just about to die, she will bear a child nine months later. It sort of bugs me.

2 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

It seems to be one way to keep the lost person in the story and constantly on the readers' mind. I don't know. It is annoying, I agree. Somebody should come up with a better literary device.
With that said, I know quite a few people of my acquaintance that maybe haven't gotten pregnant like the first time that they ever had sex, I only know three of those and one was with twins, hmm, yeah, but I know people who have gotten pregnant REALLY easily.

Melissa said...

I know what you mean, I just read it and it was hard to follow all the story lines with so many peoples names who I could hardly pronounce!

I liked the story over all I guess, anything Jewish intrigues me since my ancestors were Ukrainian Jews, though it is ALWAYS depressing to read about it.