Saturday, August 18, 2007

Is this karma?

On the nights that Eddie is at home, the kids usually go to bed just fine. Maren starts begging for her final nursing around 6:30. Isaac is more than happy to climb in his own bed at 7, no matter what fun thing the big kids might be up to. And maybe Eddie is meaner than I am, but Bryce and Annie don't seem to fight him at 8:00 when they're supposed to be hitting the sheets. Of course, Bryce often talks to himself for hours after he gets in bed, but when Eddie's home, that's his domain and I don't have to deal with it.

But for seven of the last nine nights, Eddie has been gone at bedtime. He's been on-call three times, had two Guys' Nights Out (which he rarely gets, so I try not to begrudge him too much), and one work-related dinner at a nice restaurant. The other night we were on a date (but that was more than a week ago, so the complainer in me has resurfaced).

The kids have been awful at bedtime. Annie can never fall asleep and ends up sobbing in bed. Last night I brought her into bed at me at 10pm when she was truly hysterical and she kicked me all night. Bryce has an elaborate 30-minute ritual involving feeding all of his "pets" (don't you dare call them stuffed animals) before he can get in bed. Both of the big kids come into the bedroom constantly when I'm nursing and I don't have a door defender. Even sweet, mild Isaac put up a fight last night when it was time to get in bed and Toy Story 2 was playing in the next room. To add insult to injury, Maren has been waking up every night at 2am and nursing on and off until it's time to get up for good (before 6). I guess if there's such thing as karma, Eddie must be a much better person than I am, because he definitely has better luck with the bedtime routine.

Eddie worked last night. He's due home any minute. I'm going for a run. I'm not sure I really want to run all that much, but I want some time to myself. I would probably just go back to bed, but Annie's in there and I know I'd just get kicked.

And, in case you were wondering, I might not be around much in the next week. It looks like there's a possibility that Hurricane Dean could come our way. Just in case, we booked a room in Dallas for three nights in the middle of the week. If I have to flee, at least I have a place to stay (one that isn't my brother-in-law's tiny condo).

4 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

I hope you do finally get some sleep. I am keeping your family in my prayers. I hope the hurricane steers clear of you!

Gabriela said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear about the routine, but happy to hear someone else's baby is waking up to be fed-Pedro will not sleep through the night and it is driving me NUTS.

I'm meaner- (or more desperate for alone time)when Guapo's gone they all go to be early.

Be safe-we'll be watching the Dean coverage.

TJ said...

where do you live in texas?? i live alamo land. our house is small, but i would happily let you stay here with us if you had to get out.

Shelah said...

Thanks, Terina. We're in the Houston suburbs. And thankfully we don't need to evacuate (this time!)