Sunday, August 5, 2007

Book #39: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)


Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


Author: J.K. Rowling


I read, I loved, I cried and now I feel like I have to reread it immediately so I can remember all of the minute details that my kids ask me.


I feel like it ended in an immensely satisfying way. Rowling started out writing for kids and I felt like she stayed true to her audience by wrapping things up [spoiler alert] with Snape redeemed, two weddings, and a bunch of funerals (although none of the main, main characters). My kids cried when they found out that Hedwig and Dobby died, although they seemed to take the deaths of other characters, including Fred, Lupin, and Mad-Eye, with a grain of salt. Anyway, back to my main point-- Rowling wasn't trying to be groundbreaking in her ending. The series was Harry Potter, not the Sopranos, so I'm really glad that Harry only almost died instead of really died. Bryce, on the other hand, now feels the need to take over where Rowling left off. He's hard at work on book 8, titled Harry Potter and the Last Dementor, in which he brings Hedwig back to life and kills off anyone who Rowling managed to leave standing at the end of book 7. Stay tuned for a few years (until he gets his own computer and can actually do some writing without his sister butting in and begging for some time to play with her webkinz) and I'll be sure to review that one for you too.


--originally published 7/30/07

No comments: